 Trains / 14698
Re: Cass #5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 04:28:16 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:
I got some pictures of one of these shaft drive locos at a rail museum in BC
when I was there (near Squamish, from memory). I'm not sure if it was a Shay or
not - I'll have to check my notes. Had plans to build one sometime. But I don't
know when 8?(

If the shafts ran down the side, it was a Shay (thus earning it the
moniker "sidewinder"). If the shafts ran down the centerline, it was
either a Heisler or a Climax (this all assumes it was one of the big
three, I there were actually a couple other geared locomotive designs).
The heisler has a V2 configuration and the Climax has the cylinders
angled down the side of the boiler (with the first Climax actually being
somewhat different, I've not seen good pictures of one to understand
it's drive train).

Frank