 Trains / 13869
Re: Converting 220v transformer to 110v
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:38:36 GMT

Mark Williams wrote:

I would like to be able to use the LEGO transformer but I'm not thrilled
with using a 110v-220v step-up transfomer.

Mark<<

These really are easy to use. Radio Shack sells one which will work for $35 or
so. Tonight I'll get the info for the company I ended up buying some stuff from
(I bought a 200W step up, a euro power strip, and a couple adapters to use the
UK plug - I bought the 200W stepup because I want to run 2 or 3 transformers).

Frank

That wouldn't be so bad if I can get a euro power strip so I can run 2-3
transformers. I didn't want to buy a step-up transformer for each train
transformer.

Another question: How many amps do the LEGO transformers draw? Since I live
in an older house with outdated wiring, I want to be sure I don't overload
my circuits.

Ok, this is what I got from Lashen Electronics at http://www.lashen.com/
I ordered by phone so I could make sure I was getting what I really
needed:

$26.25 TRV 200U-GND 200w step up
$4.95 TRV Europe-GND Universal plug adapter (x2)
$25.95 PM 4731 European Surge Strip

The surge strip has 5 recessed outlets. The adapter plugs fit in the
recessed sockets and will take almost any international plug, including
the mongo 3-prong UK plug my two 7864s have on them. A standard 2 prong
euro plug fits into the recessed socket just fine (my 741 transformer
has one of these plugs).

As far as power used, the 7864 is rated as 8 VA for 0-12v and 8 VA for
the two fixed voltage outlets. The 741 is rated at up to 5 VA. In a
purely resistive or DC world, 1 VA = 1 Watt, but once AC is involved
with inductance (motors) or capacitance, there is no longer a one to one
equivalence. These ratings are also specified for the low voltage side
of the transformer, not the high voltage side, so they don't reflect the
inefficiency of the transformed. For quick and dirty, doubling the VA to
find the rating of the transformer you want to buy is probably safe. For
the cost differential of the transformers from Lashen, you might as well
buy a big one (I think the 100 Watt step up is about $20).

For comparison, for $32.99 I got a 40 Watt step up from Radio Shack.
Incidentally, it's rated at 44 Watts in, which gives one example of
transformer efficiency (pretty good).

I would have loved to find a simple outlet splitter like one can find in
the US, but the surge suppresser strip was still worth it considering I
have three transformers, and might get more in the future. I figure the
step up will have no problems running 5 transformers.

The surge strip is rated for 10 amps, which is perfect for the 200 Watt
step up.

Frank