 Trains / 12330
Re: A nice summer surprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:49:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Cormier writes:

My collection has a (very) few megabloks :-( They're still white and I know
why. *WARNING: ANTI-CLONE STATEMENT*  Even the dirt and dust won't touch it :)

  Heh.  Well, all I can say is that I've been overwhelmingly delighted with
MegaBloks sets over the past five years, and overwhelmingly disappointed
with LEGO during that same time frame (with the notable and commendable
exceptions of some of the Star Wars sets).  I would argue that you can thank
MegaBloks for the inception of Lego Direct almost as much as you can thank
LUGNET, AFOLs, or Brad Justus, since the recent (and increasingly cool)
MegaBloks ProBuilder sets offer the opportunity to purchase bricks in bulk
while also acquiring a nice model, and at a considerably better piece:price
ratio than anything comparable by LEGO.  If LEGO had wanted to implement a
bulk brick service, it's amazing to me that they waited until their
competitor had already done pretty much the same thing.
  Yes, I know that LEGO Zealots will continue to whine that MegaBloks
doesn't offer the same surgical precision of brick molding, and that
polystyrene is not as "good" as ABS, as well as a horde of other (ultimately
pretty minor) complaints, but I don't care.  If you want to get rid of your
clone bricks, email me with a shipping cost, and, if I'm interested, I'll
take them off your hands.  Otherwise, I'm just thrilled that I won't have to
bid against any zany purists when I see some cool clone sets come up on Ebay.
  No fan of clone bricks claims that the bricks are identical to LEGO
bricks, or that they're precisely as "good" as LEGO bricks, but considering
the ever-deteriorating piece:price ratio in LEGO sets, I'm more than willing
to make minor concessions of quality for huge savings at the cash register.

     Dave!