 Trains / 11810
Re: MOCs: incl German WWII Railway gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:05:23 GMT

Shaun,

I've seen your work on brickshelf before and I am just
floored by the detail.   You are, by far, one of the
best lego modelers out there.
8
Your attention to detail is clearly seen in the beautiful
re-creations of WWII and Star Wars machines.

I have created modern day chopter sorta modeled after
the UH-60 Blackhawk.   Two versions exist:

http://www.netpresonic.com/lego/

Extended version (more cargo space)
http://www.netpresonic.com/lego/uhc

Enjoy,

Marc

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Hi All,

I've uploaded some pictures of my latest MOCs - a German K5 Leopold 28
cm Rail Gun, a freight car to carry the ammo, and a flatbed car carrying
a Sd.Kfz 250 Halftrack.

The flatbed car is pretty self-explanatory.  It can be found here:

The K5 Leopold can be found here:

This gun was built and used during WWII by the German army.  The shells
it fired were 28 cm in diameter, and had a range of about 30 miles.  The
most famous use of the K5 Leopold was during the Allied invasion of
Italy. Two K5s were hidden in train tunnels, and came out several times
a day to lob shells toward the Allied troops landing at Anzio; this went
on for FOUR months. After firing, the gun would be immediately returned
to the shelter of the tunnel, so Allied planes were never able to locate
them before they were abondoned before advancing Allied forces.  The two
guns collectively became known as "Anzio Annie" by the Allies, as they
were under the impression that only one gun was being directed against
them.

The gun itself is actually motorized - the battery box takes up half of
the space in the freight car immediately following the railgun chassis.
The switch is behind a small hinged panel on the roof of the freight
car.  This battery box is used to run a motor on the railgun chassis,
which is geared to a cam which pumps a pneumatic cylinder.  The
pneumatic cylinder is then used to extend an air piston, which raises
the gun.  The gun can be lowered by flipping a switch hidden just behind
the breech of the gun.  The gearing is such that the gun takes a full 30
seconds to rise completely - I wanted the motion to be very slow and
deliberate, rather than fast and jerky.  The lowering takes somewhat
less time, just under 10 seconds.

The gun runs on 12 axles, grouped in threes with one stud spacing in
between them.  A rigid construction of this kind binds on the curves, so
the wheeltrucks are articulated.

Surprisingly enough, the entire assembly easily navigates the tight LEGO
curves.  In order to accomplish this, the ammo loading platform at the
rear of the railgun chassis can move - it rotates on a turntable, and
the entire platform can slide forward and backwards along this axis of
rotation.  On the tight curves the gun chassis pushes the platform out
of the way.  The motion is opposed by LEGO rubber bands, so when the
train straightens out again the platform slides back into its original
position.

On top of the platform is a small ammo cart that runs along small
tracks.  The crane is used to load the ammo onto the cart, which then is
led forward to the breech of the gun.

Information on the K5 and other Rail Guns, including the absolutely
immense 80cm "Dora" (which, fyi, rode on 40 axles !!!!!!!!), can be
found at:

http://www.railwaygun.co.uk/

There are also a few pics of my entire Germna WWII train to date;
included are the BR52 locomotive and tender, the K5 Leopold railway gun,
a freight/ammo car, and the flatbed car.  An astute observer may notice
that the flatbed car is actually running without wheels in these pics -
I have a limited number of wheelsets, and I don't seem to have enough to
keep all the cars runing at once right now.  More are on order ...  and
yes, that is all the track I have right now :D

More to come ...
Shaun