 Town / 757
Re: Monorail Max Mileage?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:52:49 GMT

In lugnet.town, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.town, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
[...]
- A curved track is 46 studs in length
[...]

I get 43.98...  What value are you using for as a radius in the
computation?

I read somewhere that the curved was 36cm's long.  With each stud being
about 7.8mm (7.8mm x 32 = 250cm (same size as a straight track)), therefore
46 studs = 36 cms.

Well, the curved monorail tracks aren't actually perfect circle segments,
because the stanchion holes in the middle don't fit into an irrational point
on the lattice, but they're not so far deformed from a perfect circle as to
give a value of 36cm for the axial length.

Try this:  Using a 32x32 baseplate, measure the axial radius of a segment of
curved track.  (It's exactly a whole number of studs.)  Now multiply that by
2*pi to get the axial circumference of a circular rail circuit.  Now divide
that by 4 to get the axial length of the curved track.  What do you get?

(Also figure that the inner axial radius is about 1 stud less than the outer
axial radius -- because there are teeth on both sides of the rail.  So the
monorail engine actually travels faster along curved track in one direction
than the other.  :-)

--Todd