 Town / 5527
Re: two historic facades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:18:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
I have finally got around to putting up some images of two historic facades I
have done recently:

And in a magnificent display of patience waited until the brickshelf folder was
moderated before posting this message, so no need to post deep links :-)

One is of the Albion Fire Station here in Brisbane (Australia) where I live,
which is no longer used as a fire station but is converted to offices.

The other is the former Australian Bank of Commerce in Charters Towers in the
north of Queensland (Australia), a neo-classical building from the 1890s during
the heyday of its gold rush, which is now converted into the World Theatre. I
visited Charters Towers on holidays earlier this year, and was inspired by this
building.

In each case, there is a contemporary picture of the building as well as my
Lego interpretation of their original appearance. Although I have seen photos
of both buildings from earlier times, I don't have them available to scan.
However, for the record, there is some variation from the original in both
cases, either due to difficulty in obtaining parts or due to the fact that I
thought it looked better that way :-)

As this is my first attempt at a brickshelf folder, I was not too sure how much
to trade off file size for download against image size/quality for your viewing
pleasure. I feel the pictures look a little grainy but the better resolution
images were huge. What size/resolution do most people aim for?

LMKWYT

ITTTAPG!

(I think that they are pretty good!)

I love the arch detail on the fire station, and the ornate detailing on the
old bank captures gold rush extravagance.

NB: There has been some discussion about how slow Brickshelf is of late.
Your images were slow for me to download, but I noted that they're not that
large.

Cheers

Richie