 Technic / Bionicle / 1842
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:21:05 GMT

<NOTE: I don't post or use avatars, and only enter this discussion as a
busybody who should be doing other things, and to add
luugnet.technic.bionicle to the header>

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
There might be a few who disagree with me on this, but I think something
needs to be done about this.  I'm very tired of checking out the BrickShelf
recent updates page to see it flooded with these annoying pixelated images.
I think this is just as bad as people using BrickShelf to upload pictures
for Ebay.

According to the TOS for BrickShelf, the folks posting their avatar images
are doing nothing wrong: http://www.brickshelf.com/terms.html

I'm not complaining about the photos of Bionicle Mocs.  These constantly
flood the recent updates as well but at least they pertain more to Lego and
building.

I think the spirit of the service is that all uploads to BrickShelf should
be LEGO related, but still, that is not put forth in the TOS. Personally, I
only upload LEGO related images, even if that connection might seem
nebulous. By that reasoning, since the avatar images ARE LEGO related, I see
no problem with them.

Now, talk to me about the images in this folder (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485 ), and how it probably
breaks the BrickShelf TOS.

These Avatar images (etc..) seem to pertain to a website called
BionicleZone. Could the creators of these images please keep these where
they belong and off BrickShelf.

If you check out BionicleZone, their first help post is about posting
pictures to their forum...and BrickShelf is given as a source of free web
space to hold the images:
http://www.bzcommunity.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c37ccb7524fffff;act=ST;f=19;t=14

So bottom line, in a way (and unless Kevin says something to the contrary),
they DO belong on BrickShelf (as annoying as they may be).

I realize that Bionicle is just a fad and these images will probably
dissapear in 4 months (at least until the new wave comes out)  but I can't
wait that long.

So is this more of a Bionicle pet peeve than anything for you? Other than
annoying you, what harm are the posters doing? Again, they are not breaking
the TOS for BrickShelf, and are following the suggestion of the operator(s)
of BionicleZone.

This is one of the most opinionated things I've ever posted to Lugnet but
this issue is really bothering me and I haven't noticed any other posts
about it. I apologize if this has been addressed.

<Note: Remember, I'm just being a busybody here, and not attacking Jon
personally. Jon is, of course, totally entitled to his opinion. I just think
that he may not be the only one annoyed by the avatar images, and I want to
give the others annoyed, and those posting do darn many of these images to
BrickShelf, a chance to hash it out.>

Perhaps a message to Kevin is called for, to see if the TOS needs to be altered?

Or to the operator(s) of BionicleZone, asking them to refrain from promoting
BrickShelf as free space for the images?

Or to the individuals posting the avatar images, asking them to stop?

Can those posting the avatars shed some light on why you need SO DARN MANY
of the things?

<Just some devil's advocate type questions>

Matt