 Technic / Bionicle / 142
Re: the big rock...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:09:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Arnold Staniczek writes:
Mata Nui (who came up with these names!! )

Mata Nui obviously refers to Rapa Nui....the Easter Island with its mythical sculptures.....

Yeah, I've been hunting around for an online dictionary to see if they
didn't just make up words that sounded like the language of Micronesia or
Easter Island. I actually found one for Easter Island. The language is
called Rongorongo. The link is here:

http://www.rongorongo.org/index.html

However I couldn't find many words which bore similarities to the Bionicle
names. Also that page mentions that many Rongorongo words, including the
name Rapa Nui are actually Tahitian. But i can't find a Tahitian dictionary.

The best I could find was that Tua (also capable of being spelled Toa) among
other meanings, designates warrior or Guerrilla and that a form of it can
also mean war games or playing at war. And I don't have time at the moment
to more exhaustively search.

Thats all cool to me,

Jonathan