 Technic / Bionicle / 119
Re: Is Bionicle violence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:14:31 GMT

Trimmed bionicle from FUT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Bill Farkas writes:
In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Michael Horvath writes:
I agree with both of you.  I do think it's disturbing.

This may stir up a firestorm (not my intent), but why is violence in a
storyline so bad? Violence is a regrettably necessary part of life. If
children learn to comprehrend the difference between violence that defends
or protects innocence and violence for the sake of greedy gain or sadistic
pleasure then they will be better prepared to face "the real world."
Mindless violence is disturbing, yes. Violence in the battle of good against
evil isn't, IMO.

What I find disturbing is the adolescent inclination to be fascinated with
or attracted to the evil character in a storyline.

I agree with Bill. Violence in a story isn't bad, per se. It's *celebrating
it* as an end in and of itself that's bad.

I hold with a philosophy that doesn't initiate violence but that doesn't
mean I'm against seeing it happen when it's necessary to make a point or to
move a story forward.

++Lar (never start a fight, but if someone starts one, and turning the other
cheek doesn't work, fight to win)

(whoops, said I was trimming followups, then didn't. Please don't respond to
the first one, thanks!)