 Technic / 8019
Re: The Big Lift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:01:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Roy Nelson writes:
How do you tell when the crane is about to fail?

You have to look very closely at the crane, and pay careful attention to it
as the lift progresses.

I first take the slack out of the lifting lines, and then reel in the line
in short bursts. Slowly, but gently, the object will begin to lift. When the
crane "failed", the load seemed like it was just about to lift off the
ground, but it wouldn't happen. I then noticed that the main structure of
the crane was starting to creep forward and downward, indicating that
something in the base was starting to give.

I can only imagine how heart-breaking it would be
for it to actually fail and break the crane or to
break pieces.

That's just a risk I must take if I want to find the crane's abilities.
Luckily, nothing critical failed. I think some members in the base just
started to flex.

However, Legos are very resilient. I've crashed a few models before and have
only broken a piece or two.

TJ