 Technic / 8
Review: 8286 3-in-1 car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:04:35 GMT

Ok here is my first post to Lugnet.  It is the first technic set I get in 15
years and it is my first review, so please forgive me for any mistakes. :)
Also I tend to be harsh when rating my LEGO sets.  I haven't seen a LEGO set
that I would call it "perfect", and I think I never will... ;)

I also would like to read some reviews of 6289, 8444 and 8445.  Anyone?

8286
TECHNIC / General
3 In 1 Car

Ages 9-12, 726 Pcs (Not written on box). (C)1996.  80 page manual: 2 models, 58
steps (Model 1), 57 steps(Model 2).  Also contains one 1996 International
Technic catalog and one 1996 Service catalog.

Price Range: MSRP US$84.00.  Bought it at Can$60(US$40) unopened.

RATINGS (Scale:  Must-Have  Excellent  Very-Good  Good  Fair  Poor)
Set: Good /  Models: Good  /  Playability: Good

DECALS?  Yes/Cover-Multiple-Bricks

SPECIAL FEATURES/COMPATIBILITY

[X] Flex-System

SET DESCRIPTION

Each 3-in-1 car model contains 3 vehicles.  The main model has a "amphibium"
car, a trailer and a helicopter.  The main feature of the model is 3 detachable
tool module which can be attached to any of the 3 vehicles.  The modules are a
camera, a small hook with sting, and a large lifting hook.  The main car has a
simple steering.  The steering wheel is a dummy.  The "flex" cockpit can be
opened.  Although the UK catalog claim "great suspension", it does not have any
real suspension.

The alternate model contains a car, a trailer and a submarine.  It does not
have the module design like the main model.  The car has steering.  The trailer
has a lifting arm and a turning chair.  The sub only opens and closes and can
hold a technic figure.  The manual contain instructions to motorize the car.

SPECIAL ELEMENTS

(Part name reference:
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/t_registry.html)
1 metal worm gear.  1 metal large hook.
4 flex tube (various length)
1 Gear box type 1. 1 Gear box type 2.
30+ friction connector II, 30+ double friction connector.
50+ cross block (skew connector). 10+ catch. 20+ 1/2 bushing II.
6 gear 8t. 1 gear 16t. 1 gear 24t. 1 crown gear II. 4 bevel gear 12t.
4 axle extender. 2 axle sleeve. 1 spool. 1 rotor 3 pronged.  6 triangle.
8 cross axle #3. 13 cross axle/w stud #4.
13 rubber wheels of various sizes.

2 identical technic figures with different colour helmets.

IMPRESSION

It is a simple, beginner level set with lots of small parts.  Introduced in
1996, although it is quite large it was largely overlooked thanks to legendary
sets like 8440, 8460, 8880 and 8480.  The main model has a few mechanical
feature, but they all use simple mechanism normally found in much cheaper sets.
The helicopter has both main and tail rotor turns at the same time, but that is
already the most complex mechanical feature of the whole set.

The body structure of the main car is very strong.  The body is reinforced by 3
pairs of vertical beams, which prevents the body to break apart when you pull
the detachable modules from the car.  The set has tons of cross blocks and
friction connectors for body reinforcement, modules and body decorations.  The
first module is a small pulley and a small hook.  It got a clever gear and
rubber band mechanism to prevent the hook form free falling.  The second module
is a lifting hook.  Driven by a worm gear in a gear box II, it only moves up
and down.  The third module is a simple camera.  The main model can be
described as a showcase of how the cross blocks can be used.  But I would
rather have a real rear suspension than to know how to make a fake one with
cross blocks.

The alternate model which I haven't build, is even simpler.

Set Rating
Good.  I would want more mechanical parts.  It has too few gears.  It may
have too many cross blocks and friction connectors, but the set demonstrate
many good uses of them.  The set also contains many other useful parts like
beams, axles of various length, angle beams, bushings and plates with toothing
etc.

Model Rating
Mechanic: Good.  As explained above, only simple stuff.
Structure: Very Good.  The main car, and the helicopter are both good looking
and could have been sold as stand alone set.  The structure of the car is very
strong with multiple reinforcement.

Playability Rating
Good.  Mechanical parts are simple, but those modules can be moved around.  You
get 3 vehicles and 2 figures to play with.

Scale
Technic figure

Errors
None

Extra Elements
Spares for bushings, gear 8t, 1x1 plate, short connectors.

CONCLUSION
Of the 762 parts, the big majority are small pieces make it fairly expensive at
MSRP.  It is a good "2 set in 1" set for introducing kids to technic, but there
are cheaper sets that may be better choice.  For advanced technic fans, get it
for parts if you can get it cheap.  Some big stores may still have it in
clearance this year.

REVIEWER INFORMATION
Review Written: 9-18-1999
By: Ka-On Lee
Age: 27       Favorite Lines/Themes: Starwars, space, technic.

COPYRIGHT

This review is Copyright 1999, by the author as named above.  The
author grants publication rights for all uses, public and private,
with the following exceptions: all information in the document must
be published in full; any for-profit use requires express written
permission by the author for publication in full or in part.