 Technic / 6475
RE: compact designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:09:23 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of jan-tore
Sent: 26 January 2002 01:43

1) How to gear down a 9V motor, on the smallest amount of space, which
includes a wormscrew and the engine itself in the smallest possible way.
Which 9v motor?  The old version or the new version - the new version is
geared 350:1 relative to the old version anyway.

We really need to know what kind of ratio is needed, how much torque it will
have to sustain and how much space is actually available in order to come up
with a practical design.

The recent posts on Power Pullin' should highlight torque issues, while
Jennifer Clark's excellent Compact Excavator drive train
(http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/js70_lrg/drivetrain2_lrg.htm)
shows what can be accomplished in a very small space - note that gears are
placed at both ends of the body and joined by long axles to enable bits of
space to be used and not one contigous area.

However, your request sparked some interest in me, so I designed a system
to achieve 1:2016 reduction in a (maximum)
space 4 studs wide by 5 studs long by 4 beams high.  The final drive is
directly in line with the original motor output.  However, I think the
solution is completely impractical due to high friction, non-standard
meshing of gears, and the use of the flimsy 14t single bevel gears - but it
was fun!  I have an LDraw/MLCad DAT file I can e-mail direct if you're
interested
(lugnet newsgroups won't accept LDraw files).

2) Extenders, which are 4studs in with, and also includes wormscrews, and
the height must not exceed 4-6 plates in height.
Not entirely sure what you are getting at here.  What do you want to extend
and why?

3) An elegant way to change direction of an engine, with one switch. (if
possible.)
How about the 9v Polarity switch (part number 6551 -
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/9volt/9volt_1.html) this must
be the most elegant way to change direction of a motor.  If however you are
looking to model forward and reverse for something like a gear box engine,
you could use the parts from the 8880 set that comprise the gearbox.  The
instructions are available on line at BrickShelf
(http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8880/index.html) while the inventory
is at Peeron (http://www.peeron.com/inv) and a quick search of BrickLink
(ex-BrickBay, http://www.bricklink.com/) shows that the parts are available.

William Howard