 Technic / 4582
4581  |  4583
Subject:
Silver Champion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:54:38 GMT

I just finished building my  Silver Champion  and I have a few
impressions.
First of all, while it is very low on functions (for it size) I'm still happy
with it.
I enjoyed the building of the chassis and the suspension system very much. The
bracing and double bracing is masterfully done and I think (hope) I learnt a
lot from it.
I wish I could build so skillfully when it comes to actual construction (and
not mechanical functions).
I seem to remember people complaining about the 'flimsiness' of the car. I
didn't get that impression at all. The chassis turned out _very_ strong and I
was very happy with the way it was built and braced.
There was even a point in the front suspension assembly were you insert a #2
axle in such a way that I'm not sure could be taken out at all without
starting to flex other LEGO elements in order to free them in non-LEGO ways
(like the recent permanent cube someone posted about).
The good feeling faded a bit by the time I finished it because at the latter
stages you deal mainly with decoration elements that are flimsy by nature
(like <part:32189> or <part:78>) and were the assembly is much more simple and
straight forward. They do their job though, as the final result is still
beautiful.

On the cons side, it is certainly more a mix of Model Team & Technic than a
pure Technic set, it has very few functions (more or less like <set:8428> or
<set:8445> with 3 times less parts) and even the suspension which is the
hardest bit is done using special elements that make the building somewhat
easier.

A few question though:
I had some trouble inserting the engine block into it's place behind the seat
assembly. After some tinkering, checking & rechecking of the instructions I
concluded that the entire seat assembly should have been placed a stud closer
to the car's front (it also improves other aspects of the car's assembly and
looks).
Did anybody else reach that conclusion? Did anybody encounter any trouble with
the placement of the engine block (or is it just an error on my side)?

Also, the entire roof of the car that is loaded on the pneumatic springs seems
to be blocked from descending to it's final position. It seems to rest about
1cm above the place it should rest at. Again, did anyone have the same problem
or is it just me?

Thanks, David