 Technic / 4129
New MOC: Mobile Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:40:05 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

after a few months of building, rebuilding, rebuilding.... I decided my
mobile crane is ready for publication. I haven't had the time to make a
decent site about it, so I've posted some pics here:

It's 51cm long and 14,5cm wide. Impressive, until you park it beside the
Silver Champ....
With the boom -which is a 3-piece btw- fully extended it's 104cm high,
beating my daughter by two inches....
It's a 5-axle crane. Two axles are motorised, the other 3 steer. Nearly
everything is motorised on this crane: Driving, Steering, Turning the
superstructure, Lifting the boom, Extending the boom and Lifting the hook.
The only manual functions are extending the outriggers and extending the
counterweight.
I used some pictures of a DEMAG 120 crane for dimensions, but the crane is
not a model of that crane. One of the most difficult parts of the design was
the mechanism to lift the boom. To lift it high enough you need to push it
up pretty close to the pivot point. From physics you might remember that
that means it's pretty heavy, especially since the boom already weighs a
pound.... In the end I came up with a very ingenious two-stages mechanism.
It's hard to explain, once I've got the right software I'll do some pictures
of it.
To show of it's capacity I lifted the X-wing fighter that was sitting on a
shelf.

In time I'll put up a site with better pics.....

Duq