 Technic / 3345
3344  |  3346
Subject:
8868 Airtech Claw Rig Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 02:43:03 GMT

Here's another review I cooked up a few weeks ago...

8868 Airtech Claw Rig

I found out about this set only recently from Lego websites and discovered
that it was the set with the most pneumatic components ever produced. Being
a fan of pneumatics and finding out that the set was discontinued many years
ago, I headed on over to eBay and got the model from an auction there. Now
that I have built both models (main and alternate) once, all I can say is "Wow!"

The overall look of the Airtech Claw Rig is very nice compared to other
models released at the time. There are many small details and attachments
that go a long way to make the model look just like a real road rig. The
claw base and arm also look very nice. The color scheme is a bit varied
(mainly black, yellow and gray with traces of white and red). It's a bit
boxy in accordance with the older models (as opposed to the sleek modeling
of today's sets) but it still looks great in the end.

It has a pretty straightforward front-wheel steering system controlled from
a flashing light on the roof (like other models). There is no steering wheel
in the cabin (not even a "dummy" wheel) but this is a minor nitpick when
compared to all the good points in the model.

The highlight feature on the Airtech Claw Rig is the air compressor used to
power up the pneumatics. It basically consists of a standard 9V motor, 2
pulleys with a rubber band connecting them, 2 "axle break" pieces (these are
normally used at the ends of piston engines) and a compressor pump which is
a smaller version of the standard handpump and has the spring removed. The
rubber band slows down the motor a bit and the axle-break pieces are used to
push the compressor pump in and out. Overall it works quite well and
provides all the air pressure needed to control the four pneumatic
functions. However, since the air tank wasn't around when this set came out,
the pump seems to perform jerky movements when the air pressure in the
tubing has reached extreme levels.

The claw arm rests on a gray turntable gear and is controlled entirely by
pneumatics. The arm uses a standard pneumatic cylinder to move the main part
of the claw up and down. In addition, there is a second part of the claw
which is controlled by another cylinder independently from the first one for
greater precision. The entire turntable gear is turned using two pneumatic
cylinders. Basically, the cylinders are attached to gear-toothed racks (used
commonly in steering systems) in which a gear is sandwiched in between. This
gear is connected to the turntable. The cylinders are opened/closed
alternatively at the same time (when one is open, the other is closed) so
they turn the gear between them with good efficiency. The claw itself is
opened and closed using a minicylinder (one of those small pneumatic
cylinders). There is also a small cabin with a third seat next to the claw arm.

A working V6 engine with a ventilator fan rests in the front area. The
pistons are put into motion using the 4 rear-based wheels (2 differentials).
A great touch by the designers.

The alternate model deserves special mention as well. It has a front-mounted
claw and an arm to move the claw up and over the truck to empty the contents
of the claw into a storage area in the back. The look is a bit strange but
it has an unusual function. The special thing about this model is that it
uses a pneumatic control circuit, which is basically the use of pneumatic
cylinders to push the air valve switches to create a kind of "pneumatic
program". It's a bit hard to explain but it works very well, basically
opening the claw on the ground, closing it, pushing the arm up, opening and
closing the claw again at the top to drop the item(s) and bringing the arm
back down. This cycle keeps repeating as long as the air compressor is running.

The only noticeable problem I have with this set is that some decorative
parts on the top of the cab tend to fall off easily. This could just be
something with my copy of the model though, since the one I have was already
opened.

The Airtech Claw Rig is an outstanding Technic model. Even though it is not
manufactured anymore, I would highly recommend this to any Technic
collectors who are looking for a great combination of looks and functions.
For die-hard pneumatics fans like myself, it is pretty much a must-have so
it is worth the trouble of trying to win it in an auction. This one is truly
a classic.

Pros: Lots of great functions, lots of useful pieces including tons of
pneumatic, looks very detailed, alternate model has pneumatic circuit
Cons: A couple of flimsy areas
Score: 9.8/10
Avg Price: $139 USD
Piece Count: 952