 Technic / 3223
  Gear train friction?

One of the tough problems in building a clock is to design a very low friction, very tall gear ratio drive. I want the spool to turn around somewhat less than once every half hour, and the escapement to turn once every six seconds, so I need around (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear train friction?

Amnon, I've also found a not in-significant source of friction is the bushes against the beams (or whatever your axle goes through). I've reduced this a bit on occasion by not using bushes to hold axles in position, but having a brick at each end, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear train friction?

(...) The length of one axle is normally slightly shorter than a corresponding beam, ie. an axle #4 is slightly shorter than a 4 stud beam. So this is probably why you achieve some slack when putting bricks on either side of the axle to support it. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear train friction?

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message news:m3k89e4iva.fsf@...ldomain... (...) The difference is, when the bush is rubbing against the beam, it's a much greater surface area than when the axle-end rubs the end-stop. ROSCO (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear train friction?

(...) Hello, I stumbled across your posting about the continuos loop chimer and it blew my mind. So I decided to join lugnut I'm also curently working on a weight driven pendulem clock and I'm going to try to build your device. I originaly tried to (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Escapement efficiency (Re: Gear train friction?)

A 1 rotation/ 36 second escapement is going to be really tough. Mine is 1 turn / 8 seconds, and is is close to the edge of the reliability envelope. The big problem is that the escapement must come to a complete stop with every pendulum swing, and (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.technic)