 Technic / 16321
16320  |  16322
Subject:
Power Functions Steering with automatic center return
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:52:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I have come up with a method of automatic center return for steering.

I have done some experimenting with the hockey slap shot springs before, but
have never had success. But this is incredibly simple, and works really well.

See instructions below (when moderated):

The trouble in the past has been that the motor either has had too much power
via internal gearing (and consequently locks the spring mechanism to the right
or left), or using too much room to try and externally gear it to the correct
power (which had it's own problems, too. It would never "return" fully, leaving
the car veering off a bit...)

The basic situation is this: The power functions motor has enough power to
rotate the spring to it's extremities, and the spring has enough power to drive
the axle back to center once there is no power applied to the motor.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers.