 Technic / 1604
1603  |  1605
Subject:
Motorising the 8880
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:46:33 GMT

Has anyone had any luck motorising the 8880 supercar? Having just aquired a
rotation sensor I wanted to put it to good use in a steering mechanism, so I
rebuilt this monster. I have managed to incorperate an RCX in the front in
place of all the pop-up headlight mechanism (in the front so I xan use the IR
port as a proximity sensor) and I am working on installing  motors in the
place of the engion. I have been using two motors to try to power the wheels,
but I think the amount of friction involved in the 4 wheel drive mechanism
still is too much for them, dispite being geared down. All that happens when I
try to drive it in 1st is either it rips the gearbox apart or the chain belt
snaps. The furthest I have managed to get it to move is about 5 cm, and that
certainly wasn't at a very impressive speed that might be expected of an 8-
cylinder roadster of that calibre.

Does anyone have any advice? I have concidered converting it to 2-wheel drive
or rebuilding the gearbox to make it fixed to a certain gear ratio, but reduce
friction, but I am not particularly inclined to do either of those.

Mike (who still hasn't got his hands on an 8448)