 Technic / 15672
15671  |  15673
Subject:
Motorized steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:56:50 GMT

OK - for all the mechanical gurus here...

You've probably seen my RC manas truck on the sidebar here. The steering is
controlled by one manas motor, geared down so it's really slow. This is done so
that I can get the wheels back to center, because the manas motors are very
innacurate and don't stop instantaneously. There is a brief delay, which would
cause the wheels to either go full left or full right without gearing.

The trouble with this gearing is that the steering has excessive power now and
if I oversteer, it has the potential to break something. I've tried an elastic
band, but it stretches and has trouble when the truck is running on carpet.

The question I'm posing is:

Is there a decent way to motorize steering, and return the steering position
back to center when the motor is not pushing left or right?

Help!