 Technic / 15295
15294  |  15296
Subject:
Blue Quad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 04:27:33 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

New Robot called the Blue Quad is now on Brickshelf.com

Eric Sophie 2006

Vision Command Sensor Camera mounted in the head.

Click for 1600x1200 view

Red/Green polarity sensitive LED lights in the eyes (Courtesy HiTechnic).
Light sensor mounted in the mandible area.

The head also articulates up and down. The head left/right movement is
monitored by a rotation sensor. The neck is based on a cam mechanism that
moves the up/down articulation in a continuous cycle.

The camera sensor in the head connects to your computer via a 15 foot USB cable.

Many features like motion, color, and light detection plus communication with the RCX are possible when configured to run in the MINDSTORMS Vision Command mode.

image courtesy
artdecom.mesh.de image courtesy artdecom.mesh.de

    9731 Vision Command
141 elements, 0 figures, US$100, 2000
LEGO > MINDSTORMS > Supplemental

The blue MINDSTORMS Scout unit controls the up/down & left/right movements of the neck and head with two motors. The Scout is located in the rear forward area or center section. The robot contains a bay where the Scout can be removed or replaced with a MINDSTORMS RCX unit.

A Micro Scout powers the gear box that moves the flex cable in the tail to create a wagging effect. The tail has a LEGO compass mounted at a level angle in the tail. When the tail wags, you can see the compass working, recalibrating to point due North.

The spine pivot is mechanically linked to gears that in turn compress two large shock absorbers. There are four weighted bricks located in a square around the spine to force weight towards the pivot in the center of the body.

    9735 Robotics Discovery Set
387 elements, 0 figures, US$150, 1999
LEGO > MINDSTORMS > {Invention Kit}

The legs of the Blue Quad are not powered. The first attempt at building the Blue Quad (see preview pictures in the Gallery) and motorizing it was halted. Though successful, I would rather build a larger quad with proper scale so the robot was sure to work with the entire robot. At the most I expected the motorized chaise to wiggle the robot or just make it fall, so I saved the attempt of a fully articulated quad for a later build. One that would utilized motors at all the limb’s joints. More motors than the MINDSTORMS Scout could reliably power.

The Blue Quad is the second design exercise in a series of quads that have wheels at the feet. The final version will have a fully motorized frame along with RC motors and large balloon tires at the feet. I want a robot that can climb stairs. A robot with wheels at it’s feet to help push and pull itself up the staircase. Perhaps quads that can trot and skate.

The shoulders of the Blue Quad contain shock absorbers and Throw Bot gear boxes that use worm gears. The mid section of the robots four limbs contain a lateral shock absorbed auto return system. Designed to help in the walking gait by allowing the limbs to twist and push the robot evenly as tension forced itself diagonally across the body. This was a feature I kept from the original internal cam driven chaise.

The lower limbs use wheels at the ends instead of feet. Specifically the 56x30 balloon tires.

Interestingly, just the four tires, not counting any blue, just the tires and the inner hubs, all four tires contain 100 pieces!
25 parts are required to center and secure the hub and wheel to the structure of the leg.

A shock absorber cushions the robot at the lower limbs. Gear arms from the Bohrok sets provide the pivot and mechanical linkage for the system.

The Blue Quad took about 2 months to complete. The initial mechanical internal cam chaise was perfected and the lower limbs built in the first few weeks. Followed by a break, I then completed new chaise and head. I kept the first set of lower limbs. Then I installed the lateral shock auto return system and mated them to the Throw Bot gear boxes at the shoulders. I created the tail from principles learned in TECHNIC CONROL CENTER set # 8485.

    8485 Control Center / Control II
1063 elements, 0 figures, US$219, 1995
LEGO > TECHNIC > Tech Build / Advanced

Blue Quad on Brickshelf.com

The robot was completed July 18 2006. ESLC Biomechanical Bricks - Eric Sophie

Art by J2Art

Enjoy - your thoughts are welcome.