 Technic / 14473
    Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Nathan Bell
   Congratulations to Kevin Clague who won best technic MOC and most intriguing MOC!!!! He got two Technic awards and got a free Technic crane. Mr Christyatsen (who was there for the first time) gave him the new title of Pnuematic master! Way to go (...) (19 years ago, 15-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Sigurd van Strakenburg
   congratulations kevin :) great job!!! whit what creation did you won the best technic MOC and the most intriguing MOC??? (...) pneumatic master.....truth, truth and nothing but the truth!!! (...) sigurd (19 years ago, 15-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) SSClagorpion1 just barely won Best technic MOC, edging out one of Nathan's fabulous MOCs. PhD2, my pneumatic hexapod won Best Intruiging MOC. John Barnes says the voting was extremely close here too. Brickfest 2005 was fabuluous! This was my (...) (19 years ago, 15-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Sigurd van Strakenburg
     (...) did you synchronise the leg swap of you're SSC1?? and did you alredy adjust the leg sturcture or the body so it make's more agressife steps?.... do you have a video or some more pictures from your SSClagorpion1? oke lots of questions but i (...) (19 years ago, 15-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Kevin L. Clague
      (...) Leg lift and leg drop are synchronized, but leg sweep was not. I did not have time to rebuild the body to provide identical leg sweep. Since this stopped the legs from completing their stride, I did not synchronize leg sweep. As Brickfest went (...) (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

         MOC's entered in BrickFest —Nathan Bell
      (and whit's of Nanthan's MOC's whare in the race?....) Thanks for asking! I had 9 creations there- all as one MOC. I don't know if the telehandler was the closest vote or everthing together, but the telehandler got the most interest. I discovered (...) (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Mark Bellis
   In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote: (SNIP) (...) intriguing MOC!!!! He got two Technic awards and got a free Technic crane. Mr Christyatsen (who was there for the first time) gave him the new title of Pnuematic master! (...) (SNIP) (...) (...) (19 years ago, 16-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) I'm glad to hear you're writting pneumatic articles for Brick Journal. I plan on doing some articles for Brick Journal too. (...) I was thinking that this parlor trick might be used to create a very slow pneumatic delay (presuming it has (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest winner Pneumatic Master —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) I'm not that big a fan of head to head competition. I think that every person who brings a MOC is a winner, as are those who don't. One thing to note is that Steve Hassenplug, that genious robotics/techic guy (who is also great to be around in (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   (...) I mean "competition" in jest, since we are a community learning from each other. I do feel a bit tucked away out of sight in the UK. It seems that only the US is currently big enough to attract enough attention from TLG. I'm also trying to (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and competitions —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) Many people shy away from "competition". I'm pretty sure Kevin is always trying to make the best creations he can. Not because he wants to be better than you or me, but he just loves making cool stuff. Actually, Kevin's not a good competitor. (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Flex tube (was: Brickfest Pneumatic Master ...) —Ross Crawford
     (...) Hi Mark, not sure what LEGO flex tubes are made of, but I've had good results with 1/8" polystyrene model makers tubing which comes in 24" lengths in most hobby shops. It's white, so you can paint it to the colour you want. It's slightly less (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

         Re: Flex tube (was: Brickfest Pneumatic Master ...) —Mark Bellis
     (...) I've seen the white "Plastruct" tubing at model railway shows and in hobby shops, but it costs 35p for about 12", which is too short and too expensive (considering my 5.5p/piece average Lego price, including railway stuff), even when bought in (...) (19 years ago, 18-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

         Re: Flex tube (was: Brickfest Pneumatic Master ...) —Ross Crawford
     (...) I got a bag of 8x24" for around au$7, which seems a fair bit cheaper than your price, but that may be due to other factors. The brand I use is (URL) have a bulk price there, but I don't know where you can get that, the hobby store I buy mine (...) (19 years ago, 18-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote: [SNIP] (...) Well, I think people were pretty impressed with pneumatics at BrickFest! I've been contacted already by people who want to use pneumatics in their non-technic MOCs. We are fortunate to have a (...) (19 years ago, 17-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   (...) (SNIP) Oops! I forgot to post the jpg links rather than the item links, since it's a while since I posted stuff! That's what comes of doing too many exhibitions! The AND etc... gates are dual no-leak bidirectional gates that perform the (...) (19 years ago, 18-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) Mark, I did a lot of thinking about pneumatics in my long drive home over the last few days, and am going to try to share them here (yah, Steve, there I go giving away my competitive edge ;^). I started thinking about a piston and its ports. (...) (19 years ago, 20-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   (...) Kevin, I think "differential output" is what I really meant, though I called it "no leak" because the supply never leaks, one output or the other is always pressurised and there is never a state where both outputs leak. There is also only one (...) (19 years ago, 22-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) [MUCH SNIPPAGE] Mark, I did this simple repost to remove the remainder of this conversation from events.brickfest. I'll go home and study your feedback, build models and test them, and provide a writeup. Kev (...) (19 years ago, 22-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote: [SNIP] Hi Mark, (...) I figured that if you're going to write an article for BrickJournal on pneumatic basics up through sequencers, you would probably want to talk about the simplest gates, the single output (...) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Larry Whitman
     (...) Kevin, And after you write a few articles for Brickjournal it is my hope that you would complete them in a book on pneumatics (maybe along with CS?). I spoke with others at Brickfest and they said they would buy the book and I would probably (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

         Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) Hi Larry, It was great to see you again at BrickFest. I appreciate your interest in my pneumatics creations. I've already had the pleasure of co-authoring with Dr. Soh, and would enjoy it again if it were to take place. I've tested the waters (...) (19 years ago, 28-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.events.brickfest)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   (...) I'm looking into alternative gate designs and I'd like to have a good library of them on my Brickshelf to then use as a resource for article pictures. This includes N-input gates of each type, as I intend to draw the module that can be (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) I mechanically link the two pistons together so they act as though they were one larger piston, also I mechanically link the four switches. This eliminates any issue with racing between the two pistons and their switches. Could you explain in (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   I think this diagram should explain the differences: (URL) is the N-input differential output AND gate, developed from your sketch. I've used 2 switches for A, to gate the supply so that it doesn't leak. This gives 2+4++4 switches for an N-input (...) (19 years ago, 25-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Sigurd van Strakenburg
     (...) whan you use them in this way you better can use 1 switch becouse the air wil be free to the admosfer alround it whane the swich is compleetly swiched, isn't it?... a sugest to make a construction whare one switch is in the senter and the (...) (19 years ago, 25-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
     (...) I don't quite understand what you're getting at, but I don't see how two switches back to back, offset from each other and switching the same signals would help. I can see some optimistation in my earlier diagram, removing one switch from A to (...) (19 years ago, 27-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   Mark, I have studied and understand your 3+3 AND gate. A few years ago I made a simpler version of the same thing. My design replaces your six switches with one switch and mechanical linkages. Here is a picture of this AND gate: (URL) In my 1 AND (...) (19 years ago, 25-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
     (...) Hmmm... I think this could possibly be used on something like the 8421 crane, now that we have proper pieces to fix two cylinders together. Since cylinders are cheaper and more plentiful (especially in Backhoes) this makes sense for use on (...) (19 years ago, 27-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Mark Bellis
   (...) Yes, I can see how the 2-cylinder design is more cost-effective, particularly since a Backhoe has 10 cylinders and only 7 switches. That allows more cylinders to be used for AND and OR gates, saving the switches for XOR gates. I've done some (...) (19 years ago, 28-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) [SNIP] (...) Yes, it is *very* bulky and fragile, but it is a computing solution applicable in some situations. (...) Very cool. I had not realized this addition to the 1+4 could be that flexible. Polarity reversors are so cool. When switched (...) (19 years ago, 28-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Brickfest Pneumatic Master and new Pneumatic Gate Circuits —Kevin L. Clague
   In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote: [SNIP] (...) The design process here was very simple: Mark Tarrabain's wonderfully simple single switch AND gate does not produce differential pressure. What do I have to add to this gate to get the other phase (...) (19 years ago, 29-Aug-05, to lugnet.technic)