 Technic / 1362
Re: How do I...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:19:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

wleue1@nycap.rr.com (William M. Leue) wrote in <FsEEn4.Cx2@lugnet.com>:
I have also come up with a list of challenges for Technic designers. These
are standard mechanisms that I think will be difficult to implement using
the current available elements.  The best solutions, IMHO, would be
purely mechanical, with no RCX or other digital intelligence doing the
hard work. Any takers?
  One thing I've thought about several times is how to build a pure LEGO
MOC which can't be taken apart without damaging pieces.  I have some ideas
on how to build a latch which is assemble-only.  Most of them involve a
spring-based  mechanism which locks something in place as it closes.  For,
hopefully, obvious reasons I've never really tinkered with this.

  Does anybody have any good ideas?

  One of the things I've had trouble with is a way to encase the locking
mechanism so that you can't just reach in and open it.  I've been thinking
along the lines of a sphere of technic beams.  With friction pegs locking
bits together and the final locking piece being inside the cube.

  The cube would start as two halves.  Each would have a prtrusion on the
inside.  These two protrusions would contain the aforementioned un-openable
lock.

  I thought it would be a lot easier if there was some sort of a large,
half-sphere-ish piece which had a mechanism for attaching pieces to the
inside.  A BURP with some bumps and such on the inside sort of thing.
Seems like some of the spacey pieces might fit the bill.

  As to the lock.  The simplest thought I had was two overlapping technic
beams and a spring loaded 3-long friction peg.

  So, here is the challenge.  Use only legitimate LEGO elements.  No glue
or screws or such.  And things like the DUPLO bus or character/tubs are
probably out too.  Build a MOC which can not be disassembled without
reasonable risk of damaging the elements it is built from.

    Later,
    Gino A...