 Technic / 12324
Re: Pneumatics book?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.books
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:09:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

The thing is though, 8455s have lots of beams without studs, and ones with studs
generally seem to be declining.  Perhaps I should build more with the beams from
8455s.  The trouble is, using the right angle brackets to make right angles
introduces too much flexing into the joints.  Beams and plates were much more
rigid.  Rigidity is essential for efficiency, and efficiency increases speed.

I've long held the opinion that it is a lot harder to make rigid structures
using studless beams. I have yet to build anything of worth entirely from
studless, despite multiple attempts.

Steve

Sorry for replying to my own post but I've just had another thought. Has anyone
else noticed all the ancillary junk needed to build a studless creation? Compare
it with the basic studded version, all you have is beams, of varying lengths,
1xn plates, 2xn plates and pegs. Isn't that the hallmark of a flexible,
universal system? Whereas studless is plagued by endless different grommets,
widgets and thingamabobs needed to get anything done. I'm sure this means that
the old system is more efficient as you need fewer different part types in your
inventory.

Steve