 Technic / 11902
11901  |  11903
Subject:
HELLO?!, LEGO CO. ! was: Will the educational arm of Technic & Mindstorms continue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
It seems like the writing is on the wall with regards to the retail
sector for many of LEGO's more sophisticated lineups --- press releases
abound about how LEGO is restructuring and eliminating all its
electronics (which I assume means Mindstorms) and movie tie-in products,
and focus on the core building brick (which I assume means dropping
technic as well).

SNIP

ROSCO

Technic is a theme of semi-specialized pieces, but they're so widely used in
other themes now (racers, Star Wars, etc.) they've become an extension of
standard elements, so I doubt Technic is leaving.  the theme name may change,
but i doubt that too, as the 'duplo'-'explore' name change was a
consumer-confusing fiasco.  Technic (originally 'Expert builder') is such a part
of the 'glory days' of 70s-80s (in US as far as I remember, at least), that it's
a part of the 'basic brick' concept the press release talks about returning to.
Mindstorms is a logical, although more specialized extension of 'glory days'
technic/Lego system, but I'm not sure how to feel about Lego Co. keeping it; I
think they should, because:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44718

Jeff