 Technic / 11413
Re: Lego Racers "Hot Flame" set 8376
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:14:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Dunn wrote:
The radio reciever in the vehicle is not the same as the RC Buggy as i thought.
I can not comment on the supersonic RC. The reciever in the Hot Flame does not
have the secondary output connector controlled by the transmitter paddels.
However the transmitter does have the paddels.

I bought one of these at Radio Shack a week ago. As the model depicted on the
box, it is fairly fun. But the most fantastic thing about the original
controller and receiver was the extra output which, sadly, is missing from this
version. As Steve mentioned, the controller still has the paddles on the back,
but instead of an output there's just a shiny piece of smooth plastic. (Not even
any studs.) Sigh. If I'd known ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have bought
it. And probably I wouldn't even recommend the set to others who would prefer to
build their own things rather than just the set pictured on the box.

The extra output on the original was what made this a "LEGO" set -- something
that you could expand on, or invent on top of, on your own. You could use your
imagination to create all kinds of fantastic creations: everything from
buldozers, or forklifts, or grabbers, or snowplows to battlebots. Without it,
you've got a slightly improved version of the original RC car <set:5599> (or
<set:5600>) -- something you can decorate; but you've lost what made the RC Race
Buggy so cool -- a platform you can invent things on.

We saw the same thing happen when Lego released the Spybots -- no external
inputs or outputs. These could have been a great replacement or at least
addition to the RCX line, but by limiting them to what was built in, there is
hardly any fan activity or promotion of these sets. They might do well with
younger kids, but older kids and adults will view them as much to limiting to be
of value. By not having the excitement of AFOLs behind the set, they company is
missing out on all that free advertising we would voluntarily provide.

It's a shame. I very much want LEGO to succeed in selling awesome sets like the
RCX and the 8475. But they need to continue producing and improving them, not
limiting with every further release what they've provided before.

--
  David Schilling