 Technic / 10599
10598  |  10600
Subject:
MOC Differtimento
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 00:01:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

After a quite a bit of time, I have a new MOC ready.

Differtimento is my entry for the Planetery Society's Build a Better Rover
Contest

http://redrovergoestomars.org/mars-station_rovers.html

and mentioned here too

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=9672

Differtimento is a skid-steer vehicle that incorporates a differential connected
to both both motors. When the motors turn in different directions, the wheelbase
of the vehicle changes its shape mechanically, which increase its turning
"efficiency" quite a bit. The vehicle also incorporates a very simple mechanical
device that ensures that both tracks move at exactly the same speed if they move
in the same direction - which is applicable to all skid-steering vehicles.

A more detailed explanation can be found at my site, along with an Ldraw file,
lots of renderings and step-by-step instructions to make one.

http://www.geocities.com/technicpuppy/

Photos

(After moderation)

Some highlights (Rubber bands should cross!)

Video (AVI Divx 4.1) can be found at

http://members.chello.nl/agarc/dftmovie.avi  (~700k)

http://members.chello.nl/agarc/dftwhls.avi (~250k)

Well, there it is - I hope you enjoy it. Incidentally, I came up with all this
independently, but I would be surprised if it hasn't been done before. I will
most definitely continue working on it. Next step  is to incorporate a Scout (2
motor ouputs) and make it a fully automatic platform that could provide mobility
to other RCX or Scout based mechanisms, as some functions - like re-aligning the
wheels after a turn - can be enhanced by computer control.

Cheers