 Storage / 1411
Re: Brick Storage Showcase (and some padding to make lines wrap well)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 04:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Kevin Salm wrote:

If you have a storage system, either good or bad
that you would like to show off but have never
documented it, now is the time.

Okay---if you like fuzzy pictures[0].

The heart of my storage system is an array of Gracious Living drawer units[1]
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room07.jpg
which use a three drawer pattern to store basic plates, 1xn bricks, and 2xn
bricks in the basic colors (gray, dkgray, tan, brown, black, white, red, green,
blue, yellow)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room08.jpg
Parts are stored in Ziploc-type bags in each drawer.  Each plate drawer has a
tackle box[2] for sizes too rare to warrent a bag.
Additional drawer units hold ltyellow, orange, sandgreen, dkorange, misc colors,
misc nonbasic plates, misc nonbasic bricks, slopes, doors, windows, animals, car
bases, Znap, and Technic (unsorted in two large drawers).  If I were to get
around to it, I could keep instructions, catalogs, stickers, etc. in file
folders at the top of the three middle stacks.

Beside them I have a stack of tubs with overflow bricks
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room10.jpg
and shoeboxes with superbricks and trees/bushes
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room11.jpg
I really need to label those tubs. . .I have a few empty tubs in storage, and
three partially full tubs (train track and sports field sections) but there is
no more room to stack them.

Adapting the method of Ray Sanders
http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=1340
I have nine Stack-On drawer units[3] mounted on the wall just above the Gracious
Living stacks.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room03.jpg
These currently hold quantity minifig parts (smileys, major castle factions,
legs, helmets, weapons, flags), arches, tiles, containers, and nonstandard
plates and bricks.  Sorting is not as fine as it should be toward the end; I
need to rebalance.  I also have a 39-drawer unit full of plant parts, but I'm
considering consolidating all of that into a shoebox.  I still have one empty
slot for another drawer unit.  The drawer units provide a nice shelf for models,
and for several more shoeboxes (panels, pirate parts, service packs I need to
sort. . .).
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room09.jpg

Around my monitor, mounted in the same way as the Stack-On units, I have six
Keter boxes[4]
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room04.jpg
The idea with these is to fill each tackle box with common bricks and plates in
one color, so I don't have to dig through a drawer if I just need a few parts in
one color.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/keterbox.jpg
Part layout is identical for each color (except that for many colors I don't
have the full range of sizes. . .).  Having these boxes, and the drawers, and
overflow to keep stocked is a bit iffy, but it's been convenient so far.  I
currently have drawers for tan, yellow, dkorange, brown, white, gray, dkgray,
black, mdblue, sandblue, blue, purple, orange, red, sandgreen, and green.  I
will probably have to eliminate sandblue and purple (not enough pieces, and the
latter is discontinued), but I will probably introduce boxes for ltyellow,
mdstone, dkstone, and redbrown (and I would love to have enough piece selection
in sandred to justify a box, of course. . .).

Below the Keter boxes I have two racks of five Shimano boxes each[5], full of
minifig parts and accessories.  The binders on top of the Shimano racks hold
minifig torsos[6].

All paper, extra plastic bags, and Meijer trays[7] are in drawer units under the
desk.

Moving on to the closet. . .
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room12.jpg
In the center are my two Plano 1234 units[9], full of trade fodder.  To the left
are sets that are ready to be parted out (and sweaters) and above are the box 'o
baseplates, Racers track, and sets that are extras of sets I have not yet built
(so I build the sets, and then part out these sets when I break down the
models).  To the right, under my laundry, is a box full of sets I have not yet
built, and above (above the shirts, ties, and suits) are still more sets I have
not yet built, a copier paper box full of Galidor, and miscellaneous bulky stuff
(like a lap table and the hockey rink).

On top of my bureau
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room13.jpg
I have yet another stack of Gracious Living drawers: the top two are Duplo, and
the bottom Clikits.  Behind that stack is a drawer+ with raised baseplates.  The
box on top is the small part of my book/magazine collection that does not live
in a storage locker.

Not pictured (except for about four sets): every Star Wars set through 2002, and
most of 2003, complete with box.[11]  I keep my storage locker fairly full. . .

And the reason that my room looks so clean and navigable in these pictures:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/room14.jpg

TWS Garrison

[0] Not Fuzzy pictures; fuzzy pictures.  Last time Fuzzy came to my apartment it
was 2000 miles away, and I had a different storage system. . .

[1] These units are typically available in stacks of three large drawers for
$10--$15; some stacks have two smaller drawers in place of a large drawer; some
have a plastic rack that can hold letter or legal hanging file folders.  I
purchased black drawers with racks and small drawers from Staples in 2002, and
many, many black three drawer units from Staples in 2003 (on clearance); since
then I have not seen them at Staples, although Staples remains on the Gracious
Living distributor list:
http://www.graciousliving.com/retailers.html
In 2002, white large and small drawers were available from Sam's Club (I don't
have a membership, so I don't know if they still have them); large white drawers
are currently available from Lowe's.  I saw a white faux-wicker version at
Wal-Mart last Christmas, and some hideously overpriced drawers once at Big Lots.
I am not aware of any current source for black drawers.

[2] Some Flambeau IDS units I found on clearance (missing many dividers) and
most of my old Shimano boxes, all from Wal-Mart.

[3] Described in
http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=1401

[4] These have appeared primarily at Wal-Mart; when I bought them in 2002--03
they were green; they were blue last year, and are now maroon.  I have seen
similar units on occasion at Target and Home Depot, sometimes in Black and
Decker colors (yes, it does look hideous in orange).  Usually they are Keter,
with minor improvements over time; some appear to be from different manufacturer
(by default, that would be ZAG) with a slightly different design; I have not
tested if those are compatible.  At $9 for four tackle boxes with box (which is
wall-mountable, has a handle, and is stackable) these are a good deal; the
tackle boxes aren't as good as the more expensive Shimano, but are serviceable.

[5] These are fascinating.  I found two them embedded in tackle box bags that
Wal-Mart had clearanced for $15 (enough to justify purchase, since the tackle
boxes run $3 each), but they could be removed just by undoing velcro.  They have
holes for wall-mounting, and are made in sections so I think that they could be
extended arbitrarily tall (I haven't tried pulling them apart), and of course
they use the mature form of the great 10'' Shimano tackle box.  Unfortunately, I
cannot locate any more, either on their own or embedded in current products, and
the Shimano Web page is useless (it seems obsessed with irrelevent things, like
biking supplies and fishing rods, and completely ignores their fantastic tackle
boxes).

[6] As discussed here
http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=1408

[7] Like
http://www.glad.com/images/gw_nentree.jpg
but vastly superior (I actually bought some of the Gladware because the
packaging---falsely---showed clear lids.  I should have demanded my money back,
so I could have gotten more of the real thing.  Unfortunately, these appear to
be unobtainable in Washington[8], but since I only use them for sorting now I
have plenty.

[8] There's a whole rant's worth here, about how Meijer really needs to put a
store in Seattle, since Wal-Mart and Target refuse to (nearest small stores are
in Lynnwood and Tukwila/Renton; I've heard that there is a Super Wal-Mart on the
west side of the Sound, but that doesn't do me any good; no Super Targets within
200 miles).  Don't tell me there's no demand or space---I've seen the Ballard
Fred Meyer thankyouverymuch.

[9] This nifty thing
http://www.planomolding.com/1234-05.htm
was, in the old version, available for $25 at Wal-Mart, $30 at Kmart, and $40 at
Fred Meyer (and maybe GI Joe's?).  The new version, which uses ProLatch
fasteners[10] and has a much nicer color scheme, I have only found at Kmart
($30).  The top of each unit has space for six 3500s (by design), with room left
over.

[10] Warning: test these before purchase.  One 1234 I tested had faulty latches
on all three tackle boxes---if you managed to get it open, the latch would fall
completely off rather than fasten again.

[11] Fortunately for my finances, Lego has initiated a color change, so after I
pick up the two snowspeeders, the third wave minis, and the cantina I can stop
collecting Star Wars Lego.