 Star Wars / 15084
15083  |  15085
Subject:
Some quick comments on Jabba's Palace & Jabba's Message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:58:02 GMT

Hey all,

Picked these up at Target as well.

Jabba's Message:

Aside from the Bib Fortuna 'fig and the decorated ball socket piece, I think
it's a fairly poor set.  I have a whole bag of Threepios and Artoos already.
*sigh*  The door isn't filled in completely, is flimsy, and gives no
impression of the massive one in the film.  Good for tan and brown pieces
though.

Jabba's Palace

The one-piece Jabba is screaming for some paint.  I wonder why they can
paint the spherical socket piece in Jabba's Message but they can't spice up
Jabba himself?  A one-piece Rancor would have been better than none at all.
Another poor set design.  It's essentially a hollow rectangle and looks
woefully incomplete.  On the plus side; Leia in slave girl outfit, two plain
trans-antifreeze minifig heads, trans-green frog, new wrought-iron style
gates, dark red minifig head w/ droid face, two brown one-piece stairs.  I'd
only recommend this set if you can find it on sale unless you really want
the pieces now.  The B'omarr Monk is cool (which Lugnetter did TLG "borrow"
their design from?).

Here's a case where the modularity in the HP sets could have really
benefitted SW.  They could have the Rancor pit, The three dancing girls
(from the SE version) and Jabba's Throne as separate sets that could be
combined for one super set.  I know they tried here, but it doesn't work at
all.  The two smaller sets snap on like afterthoughts.

Sorry if this whole post is rather negative, but after the awesomeness of
the MINI sets, these felt like a real letdown design-wise.

Dave