 Star Wars / 12120
12119  |  12121
Subject:
We have Ewoks!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:59:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

MOA LIC came through with a couple sets tonight.  Final Duel II and Jedi
Defence I are in and appropriately priced at $6.95.  Ewok Attack is greedily
marked up to $12.95.  I remember last year the new SW set pricing was screwy
at first so maybe that will come down.  Alas, no Cloud Car.

Picked up Ewok Attack nonetheless because I just *had* to see these
mini-minifig legs.  Not to keep anyone in suspense but there will be some
grumbling here.  We have short minifigs but they did it at the expense of
articulation, yes, they are solid:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/minilegs.jpg
So maybe not as good as they could be but still better looking than many of
the brick options out there.

Other new pieces include the 2x6 sloped bits people have talked about:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/new2.jpg
the tail end of the new speeder bike:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/new1.jpg
ewoks of course (like Chewie - no head underneath):
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/ewoks.jpg
the glider wings:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/ewokwings.jpg
and the peg connector I've never seen:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/new.jpg

There is also the castle catapult in brown and one of the 1x1 speres of
Bionicky and HP train fame.

Box shots:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139boxfront.jpg
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139boxback.jpg
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139boxside.jpg
and some pics out of the instruction manual people may not have seen yet:
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139inst1.jpg
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139inst2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~johnradtke/7139inst2lobot.jpg

Overall this is a pretty decent set for its size (thinking MSRP here!)  Four
figures and a nice little selection of brown and dark grey bits.
Playability strikes me as quite high with three major elements - the speeder
bike, catapult, and glider.

The catapult is very basic but serves its purpose.  The winches seen on the
back corners are just for show/playability and do not operate it in any way.

The new speeder bike design is acceptable though it doesn't appeal to me
personally (mostly because I'd rather see them doing something new than
remaking previous designs.)  If anything the driver seems to fit even more
awkwardly with his nose right up to handlebars.

The glider is fairly ingeniously done with lots of posability.  It has a
clear stand (if you haven't maxed out on them from the Naboo Swamp) with a
fully adjustable swivel via the Technic ball.  The wings are mounted with
lances and fishing poles (which fit a bit loosely in the angle connector)
and tilt to some degree.  The passenger depends loosely as well so always
points straight down.  There is a contrivance on the back which seems to
serve as a handle - good idea because there isn't much else to hold onto.  I
rather like the wings.  They have posibility as primitive looking tentflaps,
awnings, that type of thing.

Ewoks are cool even if their little legs are stiff and their arms can barely
go behind them (don't see why the hood had to be designed so wide as to
interfere with the arms.)  And of course the Stormtrooper!!

John