 Space / 9807
Re: Evolution of Earth and moon (was: Couldn't resist)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Would there be any difference in the accuracy of laser vs. radar? I'm not
enough of an EE geek to know, but thought "no" because they're just
different wavelengths of the same thing, right?

Or does the wavelength difference (it IS many orders of magnitude in
difference) matter?

Isn't the theory behind rainbows (or light spectrums in general)
that the different wavelengths refact by differing amounts, and
so white light is "spread" into a spectrum of colours?  If that's
the case then radar and laser energy would refract by differing amounts,
meaning one would end up being more likely to deviate from a
straight line in our atmosphere, and add errors to the measurement.
It would also presumably scatter more so the "signal" loses "power"
more.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada