 Space / 9796
Re: Evolution of Earth and moon (was: Couldn't resist)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:53:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi,

  Long time no see, John!  Have you just been lurking about?

I've posted a few times this year, but mostly I've been lurking.  And trying
to build something that truly satisfies me.  I keep buying more parts and
experimenting... patience now...

  (I'm finally back from Europe myself.)

Welcome home.  Is the dissertation in the can?

  Coming to Brickfest?

Travelling to DC tries my five year-old's patience sorely.  We've done it a
few times, and he's always cranky.  I will, however, take him to the LEGO
Life On Mars exhibit truck when it visits Baltimore next week.

  How's JHU?

I like it well enough here.  I have a boss who treats me well.  Science
treats me however it wants to treat me.  One day my experiments work,
another day they don't.  Ugh.

In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:

In lugnet.space, Jason J. Railton writes:

Actually, I seem to remember that the moon's pull on the tides is mutual
(the moon is affected by the gravity of water on the Earth), and because
tidal waters drag across the surface (thus slowed by friction), this is
gradually decelerating the moon's orbit.  So, it's orbit is very slowly
shrinking...

Actually, you have this backwards.  The friction of Earth's oceans against
its solid parts is slowing the Earth's rotation down.  This translates into
a loss of angular momentum for the Earth.  But angular momentum must be
conserved.  The angular momentum is transferred to the moon, so the moon is
actually gradually moving *farther* from the Earth.  IIRC the increasing
separation of the Earth and Moon has been measured quite accurately by
bouncing lasers off of the mirrors left behind by the Apollo missions.

  Weren't there other methods used recently as well?  I'm not
  sure that any would be as accurate as a laser, given that
  the international meter standard is based on the speed of
  light (as of the 1980s, I think).  Somehow using radar sticks
  in my mind, but that might just be a holdover from earlier
  measurement in the 1940s and 1950s.

I don't know anything about other methods of measuring the Earth-Moon
distance, besides laser ranging.  I do remember hearing that Earth-based
radar was used to infer the existence of ice at the lunar poles, a finding
which was later corroborated by the Lunar Prospector mission in 1998.  Could
you be thinking of this?

When the Earth has slowed enough so that its period of rotation equals the
period of the moon's revolution, there will be no more tidal friction.  The
Earth will cease to slow, and the moon will cease to move farther away.
Interestingly, at this point one side of the Earth will always point towards
the moon -- just as, right now, one side of the Moon is always pointed
towards the Earth.  This state of affairs is known as "tidal locking."  When
this finally happens, one Earth day will be somewhat longer than 28 current
Earth days.

  I wasn't aware both faces had to be locked for the term
  "tidal lock" to be valid.

It's not a requirement.  Sorry if I was unclear.  The Moon is already
tidally locked to the Earth.  Eventually the Earth will also be tidally
locked to the moon.

  For example, I've heard the
  statement made that Mercury is tidally locked to the Sun--
  true in that the same face of Mercury is sunward, but not
  true for the Sun, if you can really call that a "face".

Actually, Mercury is weirder than that.  It orbits the Sun in 88 days, but
its period of rotation is 59 days.  Mercury is in what is called a 3:2
resonance.  For every two of its revolutions around the Sun, Mercury rotates
three times around its axis.

  And locking is not fixed tight--both Mercury and the moon,
  like Jupiter's satellites, and presumably Pluto and Charon
  (which *are* a tidally-locked double planetoid system, like
  Hector in the Belt) too, "librate"--they basically wobble.
  But whether this is the settling of a golf ball in the cup
  or it's being powered from outside, I don't know offhand.

This tidal locking will take a pretty long time.  In fact, some recent
studies suggest that increasing solar radiation will cause Earth's oceans to
evaporate in the next 500 million to 1 billion years, sooner than tidal lock
is expected to be achieved.  Tidal lock can also occur with an ostensibly
solid body (e.g., Jupiter's moons), but it's a slower process.

  Of course, this does assume that no weird momentum-altering
  things happen (collisions, the unexpected expulsion of a
  gaseous shell from the Sun, etc).  But all of those kinds of
  things might make our discussion a little bit, um, "academic."
  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

  Re: the oceans evaporating: I wonder if we can look at solar
  output in past aeons?

They're trying to infer this from paleoclimatological data and models of
stellar evolution.  I don't believe there is a way to measure the Sun's
historical output directly.

  It may be that Earth was only warm
  enough for multicellular life at a certain point

The Earth's surface, maybe.  We have every reason to believe that the
thermal deep-sea vents have been around for a long time.

  --and that it
  may be different enough *now* that if one brought, say, an
  eryopsid labyrinthodont (big, giant, mega-amphibian) to the
  present day, it would cook or suffocate somehow.  I know that
  there's a lot of work being done on the sheet-of-ice planet
  idea--where only the equator regions were ice-free, sort of
  a super Ice Age.

  rambling,

Feel free!  But maybe we should FUT .off-topic.geek?

  LFB

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Biology