 Space / 9662
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:52:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.space, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.space, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
If we ignore the gravitational damage to the earth
(tides, crust stresses, etc) and the fact that the earth is still
rotating, how long would you get to watch the moon before it landed
on you?  The first person to answer will get a cookie(*)!

(*) DISCLAIMER: cookie offer will not be honoured.

I get 3.5 days, ignoring the motion of the earth toward the moon.
Don't worry about the cookie - LUGNET provides free cookies for us all. :)

Holy cow, it's that long?!  Man, cool or not, forget that..., too long!
Call me when the moon's an hour away.  Now *that* would look cool, if
it was the first time you'd looked up in a few days.

Plus, the apparent gravity on the earth's surface in between them
would have dropped, and people would be setting all kinds of new
Olympic records  :]

KDJ
_______________________________________
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I never spotted this before, but it's further proof that there's negligible
friction in space.  If there was, the Moon would have slowed down in it's
orbit and fallen to Earth, and the Earth would slow down and fall into the sun.

Actually, I seem to remember that the moon's pull on the tides is mutual
(the moon is affected by the gravity of water on the Earth), and because
tidal waters drag across the surface (thus slowed by friction), this is
gradually decelerating the moon's orbit.  So, it's orbit is very slowly
shrinking...

Jason J Railton