 Space / 9623
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.space, Selçuk Göre writes:
In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.space, Selçuk Göre writes:

Since you already know everything (1) I will not explain you anything related
to Turkish alphabet..:-)

  That Ottoman stuff is beyond me, anyways.

Then...:-),

Turkish alphabet is a completely different thing than anything Ottoman. It was
introduced in 1928 by Atatürk, based on the Latin alphabet that you already
knew and been using for centuries. It has some "weird" characters like "ÜüÖöÇç"
and some others (that you can't see if I type) like dotless small "i", dotted
capital "I", soft "g" (g with an umlaut above), and "s" with cedilla. And it
doesn't have "x", "q" and "w". There was also a soft "a" (a with an umlaut
above), just added to pronounce Arabic words in our language (There are *too*
many Arabic words in our language, still) but it is mostly not used now, and
excluded from the alphabet.

Before that we were using Arabic alphabet, beginning from the acceptance of
Islam as the religion of Turkish People, at the times we were still living in
central Asia (around 9th century, IIRC). I still can't believe using this
awkward and inconvenient alphabet for centuries. Do you know that you can't
type letter "p" in Arabic alphabet? Besides that several other natural sounds
of Turkish language cannot be represented by arabic alphabet. It is very hard
to learn, at the same time. Ther are some complexities like letters changing
their appearances according to their places in a word, and vowels changing
their sounds with added small signs around them.

It was a very very big step for the proceeding cultural revolution to change
the Arabic alphabet with the new one. And a very brave one at that time, since
the first response was "they are changing the alphabet of Kouran with the
devil's alphabet". Perfect medieval thinking, except being at the beginning of
20th century. But you couldn't get better from a culture who didn't accept the
use of Gutenberg's machine till 300 years after its invention, by fearing to
use "devil's apparatus". Even then, it was forbidden to copy Kouran with
it..:-)

Selçuk

P.S. IANAH, you know..:-)