 Space / 9561
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:01:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.space, Jason J. Railton writes:

I'm amused by sci-fi that gets it horrendously wrong.  Macross is
a great one - using air-brakes, and banking by about 30° to turn in space.

Well the A-wing flight control system doesn't discriminate between air and
space flight either so it's control surfaces move in space as well,
producing little affect except a little momentum.

I think as a Valkyrie has 2 widely spaced engines which use thrust vectoring
(certainly in Macross Plus if not earlier). Then a roll might be required to
get both engines onto the correct 'plane' for a vertical roll (in relation
to the craft, there being no vertical in space). By pointing both nozzles
upward simultaneously you could then affect the maximum continuous change in
pitch at full throttle. This should bring you up behind whichever craft
pursues you. And in dogfighting whoever can turn more tends to win (although
this concept is becoming more and more outdated these days).

Steve

Yes, but the point is you'd roll by 90° to turn, not just bank a little bit.

Jason J Railton