 Space / 9410
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:20:59 GMT

Hi.
Gravity generators per se are not in violation of the laws of physics.
However, they are far in advance of any current technology that we have. In
order to generate an artificial gravity field, without the use of
centrifugal force, we'd have to create and manipulate graviton particles.

For each of the fundamental forces, there is a fundamental boson which
carries the 'information' from one particle to another. How do two electrons
know how to react to each other? The photon 'carries' information from one
electron to the other, 'telling' it about the existence of the other
particle. How do two bodies know that the other exists, and that it's
attracted to it? The graviton 'carries' that information.

The only problem is, we haven't even seen the graviton in an experimental
situation. We are not even vaguely close to some method of generating or
manipulating gravitons, in order to create an artificial gravity field in
space, or on the earth. Our very first application would be some method of
'blocking' the gravitons, so that we could create zero gravity on earth. The
possibilities of that would be endless, and whoever could make such a device
would swiftly be Richer Than God.

Since no such device is currently being fitted to 747's, I think it's a safe
bet to say that artificial gravity in any form does not exist. Apart from
using centrifugal force to 'fake' it. Even that isn't in use in space
situations.

later,
David Drew.