 Space / 9354
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:22:28 GMT

David Drew writes:
On 20/6/01 5:54 AM, "William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote:

Actually, this is false.  Space is a vacuum - there is no air, only a
few stray molecules of gas or cosmic dust.  As a result, there is no
friction and thus no need for wings or streamlined shapes on space
craft.  Also, there is very little gravitational pull, so the lifting
power of wings is useless.

Actually, if you're travelling at near-light velocities, the density of the
interstellar medium becomes high enough (especially within solar systems, so
I guess that would be intrastellar medium) that a streamlined shaped would
become essential. Even then, there would be both heavy erosion of whatever
impact-shielding you have, and heavy drag on the ship.

That may be true, but I don't think anyone knows for sure, because we
haven't tried going that fast yet.  My spacecraft follow a very "hard
SF" policy - no FTL travel, no artificial gravity, etc.  But that's
not to say that it's the only way...

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.