 Space / 9322
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:48:04 GMT

"Jesse Alan Long" <joyous4god2@yahoo.com> writes:
Dave, you are correct in observing a small mistake concerning the rockets.
There were parachutes that helped the rockets land in the ocean but even so,
in a unique way, the parachute acted not only with but against the retro
rockets because air is required to help an object to land safely on the
ground or, in this instance, the ocean.  The parachute helped the retro
rockets not burn as much fuel and withstand as much gravitational friction
as they would if there was not a parachute on the rocket.

There are no retro rockets used in an Apollo re-entry to Earth.  Only
the heat of friction and the parachutes slow the ship down from
orbital speeds to the slow speed required for a safe splashdown.

The comment about
the total lack of gravity in a laboratory is that a special type of room has
to be built in order to not contain any gravity and, at least from the
perspective of this era, any facility that contains such a quality would
probably be used for some type of space research lab or a test area by a
space organization.  The answer to your question, which was a response to a
question, is that if these objects are able to move through space, then they
must be moved by some sort of either controlled or internal gravity inside
their mass.

If there was such a laboratory it would be quite a boon to NASA.
Unfortunately the current theories of physics state that it would be
impossible to create such a room.

To simulate lack of gravity, there are two techniques used.  Both of
these are used by NASA as part of their astronaut training program:
  1. Put astronauts in a big swimming pool, wearing their spacesuits.
The buoyancy in the water acts against gravity so that the effect is
somewhat similar to zero-G.
  2. Fly in the "vomit comet" - an airplane that goes very high up
into the atmosphere, and then dives straight down, so that the
occupants experience free-fall.  This can only continue for about 30
seconds, because otherwise the plane would crash.  They then climb
back up and repeat the cycle several times.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.