 Space / 9282
9281  |  9283
Subject:
Ship Building Weekend at Scott Sanburn's - Trevor Pruden and Tim Courtney in Attendance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:38:12 GMT

To All,

Trevor Pruden, Tim Courtney, and myself had a ship building weekend at my
apartment in South Bend, Indiana this last weekend. It was a great deal of fun!

We talked on and off about it for a few weeks, and it finally came about
this last weekend, at one point Tim did not know if he was coming or not.
Here are some minor pictures, they did not come out well, I will try to fix
them up a little later.

Let me say it was an absolute pleasure to meet one of the legends of LUGNET,
Tim Courtney. Tim is a great guy, and it was great to finally meet him in
person and talk and build. Tim's building skills are phenomenal, and he gave
me tons of great ideas.

It was also great to see Trevor again, his skill in shipbuilding is
excellent, and as time goes on, I am sure we will see those ships continue
to improve.

Here is the Brickshelf directory:

Friday:
Friday, I tried to get everything ready, it was a hectic week as my wife was
home, without too much to do, and I did not have a lot of time to organize
my collection. My wife is in Chicago, as she starts her Osco Pharmacy
training, so it was a great weekend to do this.

Trevor arrived around 8:00PM or so, after a "fun" drive through Detroit, and
told me Tim was coming, I did not know for sure, and he arrived shortly
after. He brought some amazing things, his TECHNIC Mindstorms Dog he got at
the Kidfest last year, and also his module for ships, which is great, and
his other transport.

Our bird, Sammy, watched intently, as we did all this stuff, I took a
picture of him here:

He ended up staying in my bedroom on Saturday and Sunday, he was making
quite a racket!

We started pulling out various parts, bins, and sets I had scattered
throughout my three rooms of stuff. Unfortunately, my personal collection
has suffered neglect as my business took all of my LEGO time. It was a
nightmare. We sorted for awhile, to get the parts needed for the ship.

My friend Jared stopped by, from Flint, so I talked to him a little while,
and started working on the ship. We ordered some pizza from Domino’s, and
had that arrive sometime. We decided to use the inverted pyramid shape from
the Sith Infiltrator / TIE Fighter for the base, and use plates for the
bottom to shore it up. We also tore up the Millennium Falcon for the top and
bottom of the bridge, as Trevor worked on it. I was in the process of
sorting, and watching Tim and Trevor as they built the ship. We had
Spaceballs in the background at one point. : )

Trevor finished the bridge sometime, and Tim working on a gigantic cannon
for the ship in front of the ship, complete with a neat system of pneumatic
tubes for power feeding. We quit around 3:30AM.

SATURDAY:

Saturday morning, around 9:30AM, we arose, and got ready for lunch /
breakfast / something. Unfortunately, Tim had his transport in his backseat,
and since it was a warm morning, the ship’s parts were very hot and loose,
so we took it back into the apartment. I don’t think it ever got back, so
Tim was understandably upset. We drove in the EVIL Back Suburban to
Applebee’s for a nice lunch.

After lunch, we needed to do two things: Go to Meijer for supplies (Drinks,
etc.) and necessities, TRU, some sets we wanted. We went to the TRU in
Mishawaka, and took a stroll down the LEGO aisle. This LEGO aisle was really
nice, multiple huge minifigs, some very large TECHNIC beams with various
parts on it, lit up LEGO signs, etc. It had a lot of plates, which is
unusual nowadays.
Both Trevor and Tim were impressed. We ended up picking up 2 more 3033’s,
two AT-ST’s, the  polar set 6320, with blue arctic walls, a few Large Gray
baseplates for my Shell Station, and a few Droid Escapes. The manager came
by and asked if we needed a cart to continue piling up sets, which was funny.

The next stop was Meijer, we got some drinks, and Tim was amazed, for he has
not seen Meijer. It is a sight. And I went shopping on Saturday
afternoon!!!! We strolled down the LEGO aisle, and I pointed out several
Egyptian Adventurer sets, Extreme Team, TECHNIC sets, and Aquanauts sets
that should have been marked down many moons ago. We found a run over 6320
Arctic set and a crushed and opened Tie Interceptor for 79.99, and we got
both for 15% off, after some haggling. We went trough U-Scan and Trevor
thought it was cool! I love it!

Here are the purchases:

We headed back, and started building again. Tim started watching Star Trek 6
for some conference room ideas, as Trevor and I continued to sort, and
build, Trevor got into the groove and built a majority of the walls, I
started building the warp core area, and some energy transformation
equipment. A few more movies were inserted, Star Trek: First Contact, and
then it was dinner, Tim got Subway, we ordered some hot subs from Marco’s.
We were kind of tired, so we ended up watching 6 days, which is a great
movie, the bad guy in there could give Larry P. a run for ego ; ), and I
started the warp nacelles. We sorted and built some more, and we had to
watch for a night cap one of the worst movies ever: Naked Space. We died
laughing. Cooking with Jon or the apes that were trying to take over
Philadelphia was just great.
We went to bed around 1:30AM, as Tim had to leave early.

SUNDAY:

We got up around 8:00AM, and talked a lot about anything and everything, and
Tim left around 11:00AM or so, and Trevor and I went to lunch at the Olive
Garden. We had a nice discussion,
and we went back to get Trevor’s purchases from my defunct store stock, and
he left. I took a nice Sunday afternoon nap, and cleaned up afterward,
although I have more to go!

All in all, it was a blast, I hope we can do it again! I will have my
collection sorted better, but Trevor and Tim were able to cope!

Misc: Pictures:

Building Table with Tim working intently on the base of the ship:

Building table afterward:

Tim and Trevor taking a break for a picture:

Living room disaster:

Ach, ach, err… no, no.. oh it’s you Trevor! : )

Bad Ship Pictures:

Scott S.