 Space / 5664
5663  |  5665
Subject:
New space ship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:23:23 GMT

Well, I went shopping at The Construction Site today (I'm up in the Boston
area for the holidays with the family), and decided to buy a Dacta 9453 set
(along with a few other small sets). When presented with a limited selection of
parts, I seem to go for space ships, so, have a look see:

The hard part was dealing with the fact that I had and extremely limited set of
parts to get a 90 degree rotation to be able to use the wheel hubs for engines.
I finally wound up with a solution using 1x2 technic beams, technic pin w/axle,
and 2x2 round bricks. I took one shot with the engine module separated from the
cockpit module to show what I did. The ship is piloted by the race car driver
from 1096, which also supplied the number 5s (2 copies of the set - I'm
thinking I should have bought a couple more of those) for the side of the ship.
Other than those parts, only a few other parts didn't come from 9453.

After I finished the main part of the ship, I felt it needed some wings. My
selection of plates was extremely limited, especially not having any angled
plates at all. A couple 1x2 plate with 2 hinge fingers mounted to the wings
with 1x4/2x2 hinge plates make nice little secondary weapons to the main
weapons turret.

This was a fun little ship to build and it's interesting to see what can be
done with an extremely limited parts selection, especially one with no really
space like parts.

Frank