 Space / 4434
Re: Galactic Shipyard updates and change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:41:03 GMT

Jon Palmer <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message
<snip>
Actually I don't really consider even the biggest ships on the
site to be true "capital ships". Considering that if you loosely scale up • a
stud to a foot then even Bardiel is only 270 feet long. Sounds big but
compare it to:

747    -231 ft
Arleigh Burke class Destroyer -466 ft
John F. Kennedy Air craft Carrier  -1052

I personally consider a "capital ship" to be destroyer size or larger. And
my ship is only a little bigger than a 747 in length

We won't go into width problems brought up by a minifig.

My point is that the ships on the site are considered "Capital size" if • they
are over 60 studs in length. I think it should be more like 100 but we'll
get into that later.

    Anyway.. where did the term "Capital" come from? Anyone know the true
definition of this?

Well, after an extensive hunt through the bowls of the web, after wading
through DoD computers, after discovering one really bad poem (A Capital Ship
by Charles Edward Carryl), after finding that 'capital-ship.com' is
available, about the best definition I could come up with was 'a ship with a
gun calibre of 11 inches or better' or simply 'a ship with large calibre
guns'.  I paraphrased both of these definitions from a very skimpy site
cataloging WWII naval battles.  The dictionary definition is 'a ship of the
largest size, such as a battleship or aircraft carrier'.

One definition of 'Capital' simply means 'first and foremost'.  In this
context, 'capital ship' makes sense.  From playing games like Bismarck as a
kid, I always associated 'capital ship' with light cruisers and up, but I do
not remember why I came to believe this.  IIRC, some modern destroyers are
as big as WWII cruisers, so classifying them as capital ships definitely
makes sense.  In any case, a capital ship is *big*.

By the way, the following site might help inspire some ideas for ships,
weapons, and specifications:

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ffiletop.html#ships

  -Doug

^V^^V^