 Space / 40671
40670  |  40672
Subject:
Classic Space Rocket Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:31:25 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

She’s a bit wide, and a bit boxy (like her distant, yet beautiful cousin, 6901, affectionately known as “the elephant”), but she’s faaassssst ! ! ! Cruising on the wingtip thrusters alone, this rocket train easily maintains 200 m/s on the long straightaways through the Lunar plains. Watch out, though! People who venture too close to the tracks tend to lose their helmets.

The passenger-car comfortably seats four, and offers such luxuries as satellite television and interplanetnet service, an automated wet-bar and heated seats. With no atmosphere outside to carry sound, the ride is wonderfully quiet, though some vibration through the wheels can occur on sections of older, rougher track.

If needed, the train-engine’s main thrusters can be fired. At full power, the engine can reach Lunar escape velocity and rendezvous with orbiting space stations. This should only be done on long sections of straight track! It is recommended that the passenger trailer be detached for such orbital operations, though a few hotshot engineers have been known to fly with passengers and cargo in tow.

-best,

Wolf