 Space / 35878
Re: Transparent Aluminum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:03:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   I think it also will have interesting implications for the aviation and automotive industries. Just think of the interesting window shapes you can make when you aren’t limited by the brittle nature of glass.

Aircraft windows are often made out of drape-formed plastic (drape-forming doesn’t introduce material stress in the same way that other forming methods do), and at least in terms of fighter jets, I’m not sure I’d want to have a stronger-than-steel canopy when it comes time to eject. Especially if it’s one of the types that are rigged to explode rather than eject. There’s also the issue of these being optically tinted, so night flights would be a bit more harrowing.

As for cars, it might work for windows that could legally be tinted, but I think you’d have legal hoops and hurdles for using this on the windows around the driver’s compartment.

Still, if they can make this ceramic, maybe someone else will figure out a formula that will provide the same strength qualities in a non-tinted form.