 Space / 35806
Re: Tribute to Masamune Shirow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:08:19 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, David Rabadan wrote:
   As a fan of Masamune Shirow and Appleseed I always wanted to build a Landmate. It was a bit tricky to keep it close enough to scale. I am mostly pleased with the results but I will keep trying to improve it.

-snip-

I’m seeing Shirow cues all over this thing. The feet, the AV sensor “wings” in the back, the head and “ears”, the rifle that looks “Swiss”, like the rifles Deunan and Bri had in book 2...

I think your prototype without the slave arms looks like one of the Israeli landmates with the internal slave arms that Yoshi was playing with (in book 4? or was it Databook? I can’t remember.) Aesthetically, I’m not a big fan of the potbelly/skinny-limbed proportions, but there’s really no other alternative if you want to match the scale plus fit an entire fig inside. In addition, it’s true to Shirow’s more practical visions, and probably closest to what an actual landmate would look like (from an engineering perspective, it’s probably not necessary nor desirable to have bulky appendages compared with the torso assembly).

Okay, that was kind of a long-winded post. Cool mech, David!