 Space / 33986
Re: Civvie space contest entry II - Aircar.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:55:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:

   It doesn’t have to be transatmospheric to be space. :)

As far as I’m concerned, anything science fiction is fair game in the .space newsgroup. (Which is why you’ll see non-outer-space things like Crimson Skies)

I figured as much. :)

In lugnet.space, Daniel Rubin wrote:

   Cool beans. I think the landing gear was rather cleverly done. I have to say that I don’t like the idea of headlights in neon green, but I know that part isn’t really available in clear, and the shape is pretty cool, kinda looks like a futuristic hotrod.

Thanks Dan. My first choice would be to make the lights trans yellow, but I only had one and it’s on the garbage truck. But see below for a nice surprise.

In lugnet.space, Chris Maddison wrote:

Yes! This thing is so sweet. I’m almost ready to break into a Sophie “oh wow - yeahyeah bomb diggity dang!” :-) Fast and yellow, great SNOT, the often neglected underside is just gorgeous. And the landing gear is superbly done. I really like how after the landing gear is deployed, the “hole” is covered back up.

Thanks. Landing gear are some of my favourite things to make.

   The only minor little thing I don’t like is the combination of trans yellow and trans neon green. In this case, it’s due to part availability, but I say pick one or the other.

See below.

In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner wrote:

   I love it! The overall shape is nice, the detailing is well done, and the landing gear looks solidly engineered.

This is precisely the kind of well-polished model that I’ve been aiming for with my racers series, though I don’t think I’ve hit it with all of them. Very nice!

--------

Don’t sell yourself short. I had another look at your racers, and they’re sweet little ships. I particularly like the idea of the detachable engines on the Slick Octan. I must have missed that one when you posted it ‘cause I don’t recall seeing it before.

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:

   Very, very classy. That landing gear is ultra-special. Once again your competition entry is my favourite!

blush.

In lugnet.space, Jeff Szklennik wrote:

Wheee! This looks like very swooshable fun. The bottom detail/landing gear is great. the headlights are a great use of pieces. Kinda Naboo-y overall, & that’s good.

Jeff

Thanks. Like I said, the headlights were the seed of this model. I really like those parts, but haven’t used them much to date. The Naboo reference did occur to me after I finished it. It’s the antenna out the back isn’t it.

Now for the ‘surprise’.

I took the hint about the headlight colour, and yes I would have preferred to go with yellow originally. Anyway, I headed into town at lunchtime today in search of a copy of 7030 or two to get some. After traipsing all over town searching all the usual sources of Lego in the area and coming up empty handed I tried David Jones (a local overpriced department store - not normally a good place to buy Lego) in sheer desperation, and lo they had a single copy, and it was discounted to boot. The things I do for you people :)

So here are a few more pictures with the proper headlight colours, and a slightly more overhead view, which shows the shape a bit better than the previous photos.

Enjoy,

Allister