 Space / 32719
Re: Crystal Reef
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.microscale
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:58:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Certainly a fun idea - altho, i don’t quite get the trans-orange rock pieces being city structures? forcefield domes?

I was thinking more along the lines of hollowed out crystal structures for most of them, hence the name Crystal Reef. The service habitats are really the only structures that look more like they’d have forcefield generators running

   when the rock tops are on, the whole scene looks like a mine with little droid running around.

It’s a lot easier to make out the internal structures of the Domes in person, as you move around and see them from different angles. The two on top of the island are especially easy to make out (which is why I placed them there) due to the reflective nature of the vac-metallized parts inside.

   Perhaps if a slightly less scale is used - perhaps the one that uses 1x1 rnd pieces as microfigs, then a moonbase around them?

To be honest, the vehicles, guns, and Tower always seemed to me to be in a larger scale than the Domes, but I started with the Domes, and I felt that the lack of vehicles made it seem completely devoid of life. Short of putting in 1x1 round plates as flying saucers (which would be completely unrecognizable as such without an explanation), I didn’t see any way to make vehicles that would be in scale with the Domes, and the colorful Domes are what I felt really made the design work visually.

   I’m always surprised when I hit your links and am taken to a bionicle site! haha!

It does actually have some BIONICLE parts, but they’re easy to overlook.