 Space / 31589
31588  |  31590
Subject:
XB-202a stealth revision (I fixed the deep links)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:37:15 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings,

Some of you may remember the XB-202:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/psyop/XB-202betterpics/frontedit3.jpg

I was never totally satisfied with the wing design, and lately I have become
annoyed with studs on surfaces. Since the wings use a modular plug-in design, I
decided to try to make an alternate set of SNOT wings that would plug in to the
existing interface. This led to a complete overhaul of the entire ship including
new canards, a more uniform color scheme, more SNOT, improvements to the
retractable landing gear system, and more versatile weapons payloads. The result
is the XB-202a stealth revision:

Deep Link:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/psyop/XB-202StealthRev/01_xb202_flying_front.jpg

After Moderation:

Specifications:

The XB-202a is a multi-role stealth fighter that can operate on planetary bodies
with a wide range of gravities and atmospheric densities. The engines do not
require oxygen since there is no fuel burned to provide thrust. Instead, the air
intakes collect atmospheric gas of any composition, then this gas is compressed,
stored, and super-heated by onboard fusion reactors to produce thrust. This
system allows the XB-202a to theoretically stay in the air for months at a time.
The only real limiting factors are the requirements of the human pilots. Space
flight capabilities allow return to an orbiting carrier, or passage to a nearby
moon. The space flight range is limited by the amount of gas that can be stored
and human factors. Weapons systems include wing-tip mounted lasers and one mount
point per wing that can accommodate either missiles or a rail gun. The fuselage
and wings are built almost entirely from carbon nano-tubes and other composite
materials. In case of engine failure or other emergency, the cockpit section can
be detached and landed.

Building Notes:

The main wings are made from two layers of 1 x N bricks. The top layer bricks
run parallel to the fuselage. The bottom layer bricks run parallel to the
leading edge. The two layers are pinned together using technic friction pins.
This provides a super strong plywood-like structure. The outer flap structures
are pinned to the lower layer and fit into the rectangle crafted with 75 deg 2 x
1 x 3 slopes.

I would appreciate feedback on this. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jon Walker
jonwalker@psyoplabs.com