 Space / 30049
Re: Didja Notice??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:02:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.space, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.space, David Simmons wrote:
"Jason J Railton" <j.j.railton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
"Daniel Barrett" <daniel.barrett2@comcast.net> wrote in message
On the back of the January Shop at Home catalog is the Fire Command Craft
set 7046.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7046

In lugnet.space, David Simmons wrote:
On the bright side, Train fans will no doubt celebrate the return of an old
engine windshield.  Granted, it's trans-smoke and not trans-clear, but
beggars can't be choosers!  :-)

Err - are you sure?  I can't see a train windscreen anywhere.  It looks to me
like the windscreen on the big boat is a 'Jack Stone' hinged cab piece. Is
there something else not visible from that angle?

Anyway, the proper train windscreen was made (in red) for the Santa Fe engine.
The new Cargo Train has two in dark grey, too.

I do believe you're right about the windscreen being Jack Stone.  Now that I
look closer, there appears to be a click-hinge arrangement on the roof.  Oh
well, it's still may be useful.

However, there is train windscreen that resembles this piece that is much
older than the others you mentioned.  I can't remember what set it's from,
and couldn't find it on Brickshelf, but I'm sure someone will know the part
I'm talking about.

Not sure but you may be thinking about the metroliner windshield,
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2917 which made a comeback with the
metroliner legend release. I don't think I've seen it in red though - that would
lead to more possibilities.

But I think the windshield from the fire boat may also have possiblities for
train-heads.

ROSCO

Ah, now I see what you mean.  They used those in the Time Twisters too.

I'm confused here by the referents in your sentence. I thought the canopy/nose
from the TT set was the metroliner canopy/nose but in grey (it was also used in
white in an aquazone set)... the fireboat canopy/windshield looks to me like the
one introduced in Jack Stone for truck cabs and used in the spiderman cable car
set.

But maybe I am confused about the fireboat canopy?

As for the metroliner nose being done in red that would be tres nifty. When LEGO
Loco, the PC game, first came out, I seem to recall posting about the locos and
cars featured in the game, which were renditions of LEGO sets but sometimes in
off colors. In particular there was a locomotive in red that used the metroliner
nose (it's pretty distinctive even at small resolution)... my post wished that
LEGO would someday do that part in other colors.

You can
already get two of these hinged canopies in red in the Spider-Man cable-car set
<set:4852> "The Final Showdown".  I'm also curious as to whether the "Octan"
logo on the top of the cab in the Jack Stone Tanker <set:4654> is a sticker or
not.  This could be useful, for the silver tanker segments too.

This set hasn't been around when clearance time for JS came to my local stores
so I haven't got one (deuced if I'll pay full price for it!) but I was thinking
the same thing.