 Space / 27611
Re: Adrian's door
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:33:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Aaron Sneary wrote:
   Adrian or anyone else familiar with this type of door: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Ground/asimov/dcp01580.jpg

Does that 1x1 open space almost hidden by the wall eliminate the hideous bind you get creating doors with squared ends? This seems like a much simpler method than my recent exercises in building doors with rounded ends, using the old technic steering mechanism plates.

Theoretically, (heavy emphasis on the “theoretically” part, so don’t yell at me if it’s not true) the doors should not bind at all as long as the hinge points are on the opposite side from where the door swings. When the hinges are put on the inside face, you will always bind horribly against a flat door frame as the diagonal between the hinge point and the far corner is greater than the distance across the opening (this is why people-sized doors always have a bit of a gap between the door edge and the frame). Having that hidden gap there wouldn’t help at all with clearing the gap-concealing wall if it wasn’t for the fact that the hinge points are inset into the main wall. But again, that hidden gap shouldn’t really be necessary in this case because the hinges are inset into the door frame.

I should point out that I have no recent practical experience with doors of this type, but I have had lots of experience with geometry, both theoretical and practical.