 Space / 20130
20129  |  20131
Subject:
to greeble or not to greeble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
Browsing
http://www.zemi.net/shipyard/
I see that many 'heavy fighters' are just a little cockpit connected to a
big engine/laser/sensor complex.  But in mine, everything is on the outside,
with the inside reserved for living space.  I wonder what that difference
would be called...

well,
there are basically two 'kinds' of design:
1) greebled, machinery, "dirty" look
2) smooth, sleek, refined, "clean" look

#1 shows up in a lot of movies like Aliens, et al
where you see lots of greeblies all over everything.

#2 shows up in things like the Naboo queens' ship and
the naboo fighter.

if you look at j0n's Bison you'll see both smooth AND
greebly and here's where you get the big CLUE.

if you use smoothness w/ gaps and greeblies in the gaps
you get teh best of both designs. For me, smooth = $$$$
and if you can't afford to conceal all the werkings, then
you end up seeing the greeblies. (i.e. the rich minifigs
would smooth out their ships)

if u look here:

u can see some pics of both techniques in non-lego design

hope that helps

-paul