 Space / 1899
Re: Another space render...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:40:23 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

I've built a recreational space craft:
I envision it sort of as a sailplane for outer space...powered by solar wind or
solar power.  Does anyone have a good idea for a name for the model?
For all you artists out there, I'd also like a critique on the composition.
Any suggestions?

Wow, Bram.

That ship is magnificent (but by now we expect nothing less from you!)--and the
wing mount is very inventive; I like it a lot.  A couple questions: does the
geometry really work that conveniently in the "real built world," and do you think
the wings would stay on if an actual model were built?  In any case, it's stunning,
and the render adds to that evaluation.

As for your racing idea, I think it's a heck of a lot better than Podracers that
are stuck to the ground.  ;)  I know I'd build one; I did over the holidays, using
four large UFO quarter panels Brassoed clean as a leader "sail" (admittedly, very
small).  A name?  I immediately want to say "Condor" given the wing geometry, but
it really brings to mind any of a number of large flying insects.  Perhaps
"Monarch" or soemthing equally majestic?  Another possibility might be to take a
metaphoric name from rowing; I began thinking of "Coxswain" or "Sculler," but I
presume the wings are rigid, yes?

best

Lindsay